Demelza Crochet Pullover Pattern

I’m finally getting around to writing about the Demelza Pullover Pattern by Furls Crochet.  A friend posted the CAL (crochet along) on Facebook and I instantly fell in love with the design.  The pattern uses extended single crochets and extended extended single crochets  in the front loops to create the trail stitch that encompasses the design of the front and back of the sweater.  I thought it was a very pretty design and wanted to challenge myself with my first sweater pattern.  It also looked a little difficult for me, but I figured I would figure it out!

I didn’t feel like ordering the yarn they recommended so I went to Joann Fabrics and bought Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Mushroom.  The gauge ended up working out perfectly and I like the feel of the yarn with wool in it.  It was a nice change from 100% acrylic.

Here’s the trail stitch working up nicely in the front.  I did modify it ever so slightly by making extended extended extended single crochets instead of extended extended single crochets.  It just made the stitch out in front a little longer.

Here’s the front panel.  I did run into a problem with the pattern.  I’m not sure if I did something wrong, like placing stitch markers in the wrong spot, or if the pattern had an error(?), but the front and back trail stitch designs did not line up evenly side to side and were off center.  At first, they were actually even worse than this photo showed.  I had to undo the top portion of my sweater to fix it the best I could.  I still wasn’t able to fix it completely, because there’s actually two more stitches on the left side than the right side.   If I made this again I would have to rethink the design a bit.

The neck was really interesting because I never crocheted ribbing directly onto my work without sewing it.  I’m so happy I learned this technique because I used it later on in the project and will use it on future projects as well.

I then made the sleeves, which are just extended single crochets in the front loops.  They attached to the sweater perfectly and I was very happy with that.  I think this is a photo of the sweater before I washed it.  The sweater size changed a lot when I washed it and laid it flat to dry.  Everything seemed to have lengthened.

I made a size XS, but the arms were too big for me.  I think they were supposed to be three quarter length, but they ended up being almost full length.  That wasn’t going to work for me because now it looked like the sweater was too small for me!  I decided to add folded cuffs onto the ends of the sleeves.  This is where I used the new technique I learned of adding ribbing on the end of the crochet work.

Now my sleeves are long enough for me and I’m so happy.  It fits perfectly and I definitely want to make another one.

Here’s the side view where you can see that the trail stitch design only goes on the front and back, but not the sides.

If I do make another Demelza PulloverI will be sure to post about it again especially if I manage to get the front and back design centered up correctly.

One Comment

Comments are closed.